Grilling adds a smoky dimension to Spain's favorite summertime soup. The trick is to grill the veggies over a screaming-hot fire, just long enough to char the exterior while leaving the vegetables raw in the center. Don't worry about removing all the char from the tomatoes and peppers--it adds fantastic flavor. If the pureed gazpacho is thicker than you like, stir in a little water.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 137
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 251mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1 1/2 cups apple or oak wood chips
- Cooking spray
- 4 green onions, trimmed
- 1 small red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (1/2-inch-thick) slice country-style bread (about 2 ounces)
- 6 ripe tomatoes (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes; drain.
- 2. Remove grill rack; set aside. Preheat grill to high heat. Place wood chips on hot coals; heat wood chips 10 minutes. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place grill rack on grill.
- 3. Finely chop green onion tops; set aside. Thread white parts of green onions onto a skewer. Thread red onion quarters onto skewers. Thread garlic cloves onto a skewer. Lightly brush vegetables with oil.
- 4. Place green onion, red onion, and garlic skewers on the grill; grill 1 minute on each side or until darkly browned on the outside but still raw in the center. Remove from grill; cool. Place bread on grill; grill 1 minute on each side or until darkly toasted. Remove from grill. Place tomatoes and bell peppers on grill; grill tomatoes 2 minutes on each side or until skins are charred. Grill peppers 3 minutes on each side or until charred. Remove from grill; cool. Scrape and discard charred skins from 3 tomatoes and both peppers with a paring knife. Remove and discard seeds and membranes from peppers.
- 5. Combine grilled vegetables, bread, remaining oil, cucumber, and remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Chill 1 hour. Ladle 3/4 cup gazpacho into each of 8 bowls; sprinkle with green onion tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note