Super yummy and super easy. The only change I made was to brush the artichokes with olive oil AND balsamic vinegar before grilling (I think the balsamic helped them get those yummy grill marks that, to me, adds to the taste and presentation of this beautiful vegetable). This recipe will be made again and again.
Grilled Fresh Artichokes
More From Southern Living
Cool: 15 Minutes
Grill: 10 Minutes
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 fresh artichokes (about 3/4 lb. each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Buttery Dipping Sauces:
- Balsamic-Apricot Butter
- Peppy Basil Butter
- Mayo Mixtures:
- Chipotle-Lime Mayo
- Garlic-Lemon Mayo
- Herb-Shallot Mayo
- Pepperoncini Mayo
- Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Combine lemon, next 3 ingredients, and 2 1/2 cups water in large Dutch oven. Place a steamer basket in Dutch oven.
- 2. Wash artichokes by plunging up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends, and trim about 1 inch from top of each artichoke, using a serrated knife. Remove any loose bottom leaves. Trim one-fourth off top from each outer leaf, using kitchen shears.
- 3. Arrange artichokes in steamer basket. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until stem end is easily pierced with a long wooden pick. Remove artichokes from Dutch oven. Let cool 15 minutes.
- 4. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Carefully cut artichokes in half lengthwise; remove and discard choke. Liberally brush cut sides of artichokes with olive oil, and sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- 5. Grill artichokes, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 5 minutes on each side. Serve with Buttery Dipping Sauces or Mayo Mixtures. Garnish, if desired.
- Steamed Fresh Artichokes: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. (Do not cool.) Carefully pull open center leaves of artichokes. Remove and discard choke using a long spoon. Serve with Buttery Dipping Sauces or Mayo Mixtures. Makes 4 servings; Prep: 15 min., Cook: 45 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note