Grilled French Toast Kebabs
Photo: Thomas J. Story; Styling: Randy Mon
30 minutes, plus overnight for the loaf to stand. Three tricks for perfect results: Use day-old bread, cut each bread cube to include some crust, and soak the skewers.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 584mg
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) day-old pain au levain
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted butter
- Maple or berry syrup
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Soak 12 wooden skewers (10 to 12 in.) in water to cover for 20 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium (350°).
- 2. Cut enough bread into 1-in. chunks, including some crust on each, to make 2 qts; save extra for other uses.
- 3. Whisk milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend. Mix in bread to coat, then thread onto skewers.
- 4. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and an oiled wad of paper towels. Grill skewers, covered, until browned, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5. Serve with butter and syrup and dust with powdered sugar if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch