I signed up for an account just to review this recipe. Unlike the first reviewer, I loved this and was really impressed with the flavors. The sauce was sweet, but not overly so, and well-balanced with the fresh rosemary on the steak. The sauce was more of a steak sauce consistency than a barbecue sauce consistency, so I agree with the previous reviewer that it was a bit thin. I think the recipe title would be more accurate if it said "BBQ Bourbon Steak Sauce." I ended up putting the sauce back on the heat to reduce it further after adding the bourbon and balsamic, too, so that helped. I think using high quality bourbon and balsamic really makes a difference here, as well. All in all, I loved this and I can't wait to make it again.
Grilled Flank Steak with Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Allowing the meat to rest for 10 minutes lets the juices redistribute throughout the steak for richer flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef and 3 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 36.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup less-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Prepare grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle steak with rosemary, pepper, and kosher salt. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; let stand 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
- While steak rests, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon, vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes