- 1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- calories 395
- fat 15.1 g
- satfat 4.7 g
- monofat 6.4 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 27 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 70 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 436 mg
- calcium 43 mg
How to Make It
Combine cherries and vinegar in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cumin, and paprika. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
Heat rice according to package directions.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add green onions and carrot; sauté 3 minutes. Add cherry mixture, rice, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and pecans to pan; stir to combine. Serve rice mixture with sliced steak.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.