You can't make a major substitution like the type of fish and blame the recipe. The texture and thickness of the fish are key to how long it can be marinated before it, yes, becomes mealy. I haven't made this dish yet but I give it five stars because the combination of flavors in the marinade/dressing sound delicious.
Grilled Fish on Cilantro-Chili Slaw
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 389
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 37g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 542mg
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- About 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- 4 pieces (6 oz. each) boned, skinned halibut or mahimahi fillet
- About 1 pound red cabbage (see notes)
- 1/2 cup thinly slivered red onion, rinsed
- 1. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, cumin seed, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and chilies to taste.
- 2. Rinse fish and pat dry. In a heavy zip-lock plastic bag (1-gal. size), combine fish and 1/3 cup of the vinegar mixture. Let stand, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse and drain cabbage. Cut through core into quarters; cut out and discard core sections. Slice each quarter lengthwise into thin shreds to make about 6 cups. In a large bowl, mix shredded cabbage, onion, and 1/2 cup of the vinegar mixture. Add salt to taste.
- 4. Lift fish from marinade (discard marinade) and place on an oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook fish, turning once, until barely opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Mound cilantro-chili slaw equally on four dinner plates. Top each mound with a piece of hot or warm grilled fish. Drizzle remaining dressing equally over fish. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This