Grilled Fig and Arugula Salad with Gorgonzola Toasts
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Marseilles fig bushes imported from France had a place of pride in Monticello's extensive orchards.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup salad, 1 lettuce leaf, 3 fig halves, and 1 toast)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 180
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 30.2g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 378mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 (1-ounce) slices peasant bread
- 12 fresh figs, halved
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups arugula
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Preheat grill.
- Combine cheese and butter in a small bowl; stir until well blended.
- Grill bread 5 minutes on each side or until golden; cool. Spread 1 teaspoon cheese mixture on each slice; set aside.
- Thread 4 fig halves lengthwise onto each of 6 (8-inch) skewers; coat figs with cooking spray. Place fig kebabs on grill rack, and grill 4 minutes on each side. Cool slightly; remove figs from skewers.
- Combine vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place spinach and arugula in a large bowl; add dressing, tossing gently to coat. Divide mixture evenly among 8 serving plates. Top with figs and lettuce leaves; sprinkle with onions. Serve with toasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads