This is outstanding. I made it to take to a friend's Mediterranean themed dinner and it was a huge hit. Light and very flavorful. I used three cloves of garlic when roasting the eggplant and one large one raw in the yogurt; could use more. Great as a veggie dip.
Grilled Eggplant and Yogurt Dip
More From Health
Grill: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 34
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 46mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 pound eggplants, preferably the smaller Japanese or Italian variety
- 1 medium minced fresh onion, divided
- 3 minced garlic cloves, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (or parsley)
- 1. Start a charcoal or wood fire, or preheat a gas grill (or the broiler); the rack should be no more than 4 inches from the heat source. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise up to the stem, but do not cut through, so the eggplants open like a book. Spread about 2/3 of the onion and garlic between the eggplant halves, and press the two sides back together.
- 2. Grill the eggplants, turning once or twice, until they are blackened and collapsed, 10-15 minutes. Don't worry if the skins burn a bit.
- 3. Meanwhile, mix the remaining onion and garlic with the yogurt; then season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- 4. When cooked, let the eggplants cool a bit, then peel off the skins and let cool further. Roughly chop the eggplants, reserving any juices, then mix with the yogurt dressing. Chill if time allows, or just serve at room temperature; garnish with mint or parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grilled Eggplant and Yogurt Dip Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CUISINE: Mediterranean, Greek
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Grill
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Health
More Recipes Like This