- 1 (1 1/4-pound) eggplant (about 4-inch diameter), peeled
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 3/4 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 1 large bulb)
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- calories 73
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 2.4 g
- satfat 1.2 g
- monofat 0.8 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 3.2 g
- carbohydrate 11.3 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- cholesterol 3 mg
- iron 0.9 mg
- sodium 122 mg
- calcium 49 mg
How to Make It
Prepare grill to medium heat.
Cut eggplant crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Lightly coat both sides of eggplant slices with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7 minutes on each side or until browned. Set eggplant slices aside.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fennel and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, arugula, vinegar, and oil in a medium bowl; toss gently to coat. Divide arugula mixture evenly among 8 appetizer plates; top each serving with 1 eggplant slice. Arrange about 1/3 cup fennel mixture on each eggplant slice; top with 2 tablespoons tomatoes and 1 tablespoon cheese. Sprinkle the chopped basil and thyme evenly over cheese.