I absolutely loved this, and that's with just plain whole wheat bread. The sauce is crazy! On the other hand, my husband didn't like this at all, so I got a double serving. ;)
Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Sandwiches with Roquefort Dressing
When grilled to perfection, eggplant peel is slightly crusty--a nice contrast to its tender, moist flesh. Roasted eggplant makes a hearty sandwich when combined with a coarse-textured bread, such as an Italian ciabatta or sourdough.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 261
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 42.6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Calcium: 95mg
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (about 3/4 ounce) crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Japanese eggplants (about 1 pound)
- Cooking spray
- 8 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta or sourdough bread
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Trim ends from eggplants. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 3 slices; lightly coat eggplant with cooking spray. Place eggplant on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until browned and tender. Remove from grill; cut slices crosswise in half. Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted.
- Spread yogurt mixture evenly over 4 toast slices. Top each with 3 eggplant pieces and 2 tomato slices; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/2 cup arugula. Cover with remaining toast slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note