Excellent stand alone w/eggplant and dressing. Tomatoes have to be just right or they melt. Mint dressing was the hit of the party.
Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Randy Mon
Time: 1 1/4 hours. If you're serving these vegetables with grilled ribs, grill the vegetables first. They're good eaten at room temperature.
Yield: Serves 8
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 245
- Calories from fat: 77%
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- About 2 tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 eggplant (3 lbs. total)
- 4 firm-ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices
- About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup mint leaves, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve 2 tbsp. salt in 3 qts. water. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Put slices in salted water; top with a plate or pot lid to submerge. Let sit 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds). Drain eggplant on a kitchen towel. Arrange eggplant and tomatoes on a baking sheet. Brush all over with 1/2 cup oil.
- 3. Grill tomatoes, covered, turning once, until grill marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 4. Grill eggplant (in batches if necessary), covered, turning occasionally, until browned all over and tender to the bite, 5 to 8 minutes. Arrange on a large platter.
- 5. In a blender or food processor, purée remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, the lemon juice, 1/2 cup mint leaves, the garlic, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, the pepper, and mustard.
- 6. Drizzle three-fourths of dressing over eggplant. Arrange tomatoes on eggplant, drizzle them with remaining dressing, and top with remaining 1/2 cup mint. Season to taste with more salt.
- Make ahead: Prepare recipe through step 5 up to 3 hours ahead, cover, and hold at room temperature. Assemble just before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads