I thought this was a great tofu recipe! I didn't use the eggplant and I halved the sauce ingredients. I also didn't reduce the sauce and it still made just the right amount. So flavorful and tasty!
Grilled Eggplant and Tofu Steaks with Sticky Hoisin Glaze
We turned up the the flavor with this Chinese-style barbecue dish of Grilled Eggplant and Tofu Steaks with Sticky Hoisin Glaze. This vegetarian dish captures the essence of great barbecue without relying on meat.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 286
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29.4g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 630mg
- Calcium: 124mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. Place tofu on paper towels; cover with paper towels. Top with a heavy skillet; let stand 20 minutes. Cut tofu crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices.
- 2. Combine ketchup and next 6 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until reduced to 1 cup (12 minutes), stirring occasionally. Set aside 1/2 cup.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 4. Brush oil over tofu and eggplant; sprinkle with salt. Place eggplant on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 2 minutes. Turn eggplant over, and brush with 2 tablespoons sauce; grill 2 minutes. Turn eggplant over; brush with 2 tablespoon sauce. Cook 2 minutes on each side.
- 5. Add tofu to grill; grill 3 minutes. Turn tofu over, and brush with 2 tablespoons sauce; grill 3 minutes. Turn tofu over and brush with 2 tablespoons sauce; grill for 1 minute on each side. Sprinkle with onions and seeds. Serve with eggplant and 1/2 cup reserved sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note