Absolutely delicious!! We've made this three times in the last seven days, since our garden is bursting with eggplant, zukes and peppers. So easy, so flavorful--very worthy of being served to guests, especially if you get fancy and call it "grilled summer vegetables with herbed goat cheese and a balsamic reduction". Works as a light vegetarian main dish for lunch, with a side salad. Also perfect served with grilled steak--you can mop up the extra balsamic reduction with pieces of steak. Even our daughter likes this recipe. YUM!
Grilled Eggplant Stack
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 15.5g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 211mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces)
- 1 small yellow squash (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Place eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss well. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinse slices thoroughly; dry with paper towels.
- Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 8 minutes).
- Prepare grill.
- Trim ends from the zucchini and yellow squash; slice each lengthwise into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Flatten pepper pieces with hand. Brush eggplant, zucchini, squash, and pepper pieces with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place pepper pieces, skin side down, eggplant, zucchini, and squash on a grill rack; grill 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Combine cheese, basil, and oregano.
- To assemble stack, place 1 eggplant slice on a plate; top with one-fourth of cheese mixture. Lay one strip of yellow squash and one strip of zucchini side by side. Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic mixture. Top with one pepper piece. Top with one eggplant slice and drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic mixture. Repeat procedure three times with remaining eggplant, cheese, squash, zucchini, peppers, and balsamic mixture. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables