Absolutely delicious!! We've made this three times in the last seven days, since our garden is bursting with eggplant, zukes and peppers. So easy, so flavorful--very worthy of being served to guests, especially if you get fancy and call it "grilled summer vegetables with herbed goat cheese and a balsamic reduction". Works as a light vegetarian main dish for lunch, with a side salad. Also perfect served with grilled steak--you can mop up the extra balsamic reduction with pieces of steak. Even our daughter likes this recipe. YUM!
Grilled Eggplant Stack
Create an impressive grilled vegetable side dish by stacking slices of grilled eggplant, squash, and bell pepper, layering with goat cheese and drizzling with herbs and balsamic dressing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stack)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 15.5g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 211mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces)
- 1 small yellow squash (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Place eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss well. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinse slices thoroughly; dry with paper towels.
- Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 8 minutes).
- Prepare grill.
- Trim ends from the zucchini and yellow squash; slice each lengthwise into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Flatten pepper pieces with hand. Brush eggplant, zucchini, squash, and pepper pieces with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place pepper pieces, skin side down, eggplant, zucchini, and squash on a grill rack; grill 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Combine cheese, basil, and oregano.
- To assemble stack, place 1 eggplant slice on a plate; top with one-fourth of cheese mixture. Lay one strip of yellow squash and one strip of zucchini side by side. Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic mixture. Top with one pepper piece. Top with one eggplant slice and drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic mixture. Repeat procedure three times with remaining eggplant, cheese, squash, zucchini, peppers, and balsamic mixture. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables