Grilled Eggplant Spread
Known as baba ganoush in Middle Eastern restaurants, this is hummus’s sexy older sister: smooth and smoky, with a sassy, garlicky bite zingy with lemon. Use as a sandwich spread in grilled pita rounds with carrot-mint salad and fresh tomato slices, or serve as a dip with raw veggies and crunchy pita chips. . . Recipe by Stephanie Rosenbaum kqed.org/bayareabites
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 large eggplant
- 2-1/2 T olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup tahini
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 t smoked paprika, for serving
- Prepare grill.
- Rub eggplant with 1/2 T olive oil; pierce in several places with a fork; grill whole, turning frequently, until skin is browned, charred and the flesh has softened. Remove from grill; set aside until cool enough to handle and strip off the skin and discard.
- Put grilled eggplant, garlic, salt, tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice into blender or food processor; blend for 1 min; scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula; replace the lid and blend again for 1 min, or until mixture is smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more lemon juice, salt, or olive oil as needed.
- Using rubber spatula, scrape into a bowl; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by NanaElaine and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note