I am biased because I love ANYTHING Caprese salad ish. This is really good. Healthy and incorporates all fresh ingredients. WILL make again. I ran out of propane so I cooked in a frying pan. Skeptical that the eggplant wouldn't be cooked enough, I sliced the eggplant and baked at 450 for 8 minutes and then followed the recipe but in the frying pan. Need to use a fork and knife to eat the way I made it but who cares, it's so good!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
Tony Christie, Sean Laurenz
More From Coastal Living
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Black pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil. Divide mozzarella, tomato, and basil among 4 eggplant slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; top with remaining 4 eggplant slices.
- 2. Place eggplant sandwiches and lemon halves on greased grill rack. Grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and eggplant is cooked through. Serve immediately with grilled lemon halves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches