My mom made this, minus the bread, and it was delicious. The sauce definitely made the meal.
Grilled Eggplant Pita Sandwiches with Yogurt-Garlic Spread
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 1.7mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 697mg
- Calcium: 117mg
- 2 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup plain reduced-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 2 cups arugula
- 1. Place eggplant slices in a colander; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Toss well. Drain 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly; pat dry with paper towels.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, yogurt, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 4. Brush eggplant and onion slices with oil. Place eggplant and onion slices on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- 5. Fill each pita half with 1 1/2 tablespoons yogurt mixture, one quarter of eggplant slices, one quarter of onion slices, and 1/4 cup arugula.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This