Grilled Eggplant and Pepper Salad
While some wines are a hard match for vegetables, Syrah works really well with earthy and herbal veggies like eggplant, zucchini, and bell peppers--especially when they're grilled. French Syrah in particular makes the ginger in this dish pop. Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes. Notes: To toast pine nuts, bake in a 325° oven, shaking pan occasionally, just until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Grill the vegetables before the flank steak, then finish the salad as the steak cooks. If grilling over charcoal, you may need to add a few more briquets before grilling the steak.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 252
- Calories from fat: 68%
- Protein: 6g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 283mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 large bell peppers (red, orange, and/or yellow), rinsed, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 2 medium zucchini, rinsed, ends trimmed, and halved lengthwise
- 1 large eggplant, rinsed, ends trimmed, and thickly sliced crosswise
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- About 3/4 cup Moroccan marinade reserved from Flank Steak with Warm Moroccan Spices
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Lay bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and onion on baking sheets. Brush both sides of vegetables with Moroccan marinade (reserve any remaining).
- 2. Lay vegetables on a well-oiled grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above grill level only 3 to 4 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook vegetables, turning once, until beginning to brown and just tender when pierced, 7 to 8 minutes for eggplant, 8 to 10 for onion and bell peppers, and 12 for zucchini. Transfer to a large cutting board as done.
- 3. Cut vegetables into 1-in. pieces and put in a bowl. Add pine nuts, mint, and any remaining marinade. Mix, adding more vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note