Broiled in the oven - outstanding!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with Grilled Tomato Marinara
More From Coastal Living
Marinate: 30 Minutes
Grill: 18 Minutes
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large shallot
- 8 (10-inch) bamboo skewers
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 20 slices
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1. Cut eggplants crosswise into 20 slices about 3/4 inch thick; place in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2. Whisk together 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, lemon juice, and shallot. Pour mixture over eggplants, turning to coat. Marinate 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in water 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Thread tomatoes on skewers; brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill 8 minutes, turning once.
- 4. Combine grilled tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a food processor. Pulse until a chunky sauce forms.
- 5. Grill eggplant slices 5 minutes. Turn over, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Top each eggplant slice with 1 mozzarella cheese slice, and grill 5 minutes or until eggplants are tender and cheese begins to melt.
- 6. Pour tomato sauce onto a serving platter. Top with eggplants, and sprinkle with Pecorino-Romano cheese and basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note