Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Top seasoned grilled eggplant slices with fresh mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce for a delicious vegetarian main dish recipe that's perfect for summertime.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 577
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Sodium: 1569mg
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 2 eggplant (1 lb. each)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix or dried oregano
- 10 to 12 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (about 26 oz.) marinara or pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse eggplant, cut each crosswise into 3/4-inch rounds, and discard stems and smooth ends. Lay slices side by side on a large tray or 2 or 3 baking sheets, about 12 by 15 inches.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix oil and Italian herb mix. Brush cut sides of eggplant with oil mixture.
- 3. Cut mozzarella cheese into thin slices, making 1 piece for each eggplant round.
- 4. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir marinara sauce occasionally until warm.
- 5. Set eggplant rounds on a grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas barbecue (you can hold your hand at grill level for only 3 to 4 seconds). Close lid of gas barbecue. Cook until eggplant is very soft when pressed, creamy inside (cut to test), and browned, 6 to 8 minutes; turn once. Set marinara sauce on cool area of grill to keep warm.
- 6. Top each eggplant round with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Cover barbecue until cheese softens, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter. Spoon marinara sauce onto slices, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables