Grilled Eggplant-and-Green-Tomato Sandwich with Dijon-Rosemary Spread
Grilling the tomatoes softens their texture a bit but doesn't take away any of their tang.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 295
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 926mg
- Calcium: 145mg
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- Cooking spray
- 2 green tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 8 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- Prepare grill.
- Sprinkle both sides of each eggplant slice with salt. Place eggplant slices on paper towels; let stand 20 minutes. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients (mayonnaise through garlic) in a medium bowl. Remove 1/4 cup mayonnaise mixture; set aside. Add arugula to mayonnaise mixture in bowl; toss gently.
- Coat both sides of the eggplant slices with cooking spray. Place on grill rack, and grill 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer eggplant to a plate. Coat both sides of tomato slices with cooking spray. Place tomato slices and bread slices on grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side or until tomato is tender and bread is lightly browned.
- Place 1 bread slice on each of 4 plates. Top each slice with 1/3 cup arugula mixture, 2 eggplant slices, 2 tomato slices, and 1 tablespoon goat cheese. Drizzle 1 tablespoon reserved mayonnaise mixture over each serving. Top with remaining bread slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grilled Eggplant-and-Green-Tomato Sandwich with Dijon-Rosemary Spread Recipe at a Glance