Very easy recipe. Never cooked with tomatillos either, but it was very easy. The salsa verde recipe is truly delicious! I could just scoop the leftover salsa up with tortilla chips. Did not have the adobes to make the rice, next time :-)
Grilled Cumin Chicken with Fresh Tomatillo Sauce
Bring the heat of the southwest to the dinner table with a delicious take on the weeknight meal of grilled chicken. Serve with chipotle rice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 40.4g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 465mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3. Discard husks and stems from tomatillos. Combine tomatillos and broth in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cover and cook 8 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Combine tomatillos, cilantro, and next 6 ingredients (through jalapeño) in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 4. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Serve with tomatillo sauce.
- Chipotle rice: Combine 1 cup long-grain rice and 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions and 1/2 teaspoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce. If you're drinking, pour a Mexican beer.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note