Grilled Cornish Hens with Warm Potato and Portobello Salad
- 1 3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Cornish hens (about 1 1/4 pounds each), halved lengthwise, backbones removed
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1. Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, light a grill or preheat the oven to 500°. Brush the Portobellos with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Grill the mushrooms or roast them on a baking sheet, turning once, for about 15 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- 3. Brush the hens with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and sprinkle them with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Grill over moderate heat or roast in the oven on a large rimmed baking sheet for 12 minutes. Turn and cook for about 12 minutes longer, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced.
- 4. Peel the potatoes. Slice the potatoes and mushrooms 1/4 inch thick and transfer to a large bowl. Add the parsley, olive oil, garlic and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently but thoroughly. Mound the salad on plates and top each serving with 1 of the hen halves.
- Wine Recommendation: The clean taste of a Chardonnay-based Mâcon-Villages from Burgundy will highlight the Cornish hens and potatoes. Try the 1996 from Louis Jadot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes