The soup was amazing. Grilling the veggies is a must to get that wonderful flavor. Also the reason the persons soup above turned pink is because they probably put the red peppers into the blender. If you don't do that, which is says not to, it comes out looking exactly like the picture. It was a little on the spicy side so beware but overall, I shall be making this soup again and again. It was a crowd pleaser!
Grilled Corn and Pepper Bisque
The only cooking involved in Roxanne Chan's chilled corn soup takes place on the grill, which makes it perfect for late summer.
Yield: MAKES: 6 cups; 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 167
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 8.2g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 64mg
- Cholesterol: 4.2mg
- 4 ears corn (2 1/2 lb. total), husked, silks removed
- 1 pound red bell peppers, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and halved lengthwise
- 2 green onions, white and pale green parts only, rinsed and root ends trimmed
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and halved lengthwise
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado (6 oz.)
- 1. Rub corn, peppers, green onions, and jalapeño lightly with oil. Place on a grill over a bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until slightly charred, about 5 minutes total for green onions and jalapeño, 10 to 12 minutes total for other vegetables. Let cool. Cut corn kernels from cobs; chop peppers, green onions, and jalapeño.
- 2. In a blender, whirl 1/2 the broth and corn and the sour cream, cilantro, cumin, green onions, and jalapeño until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Stir in remaining broth and corn, the lime juice and peppers, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill until cold, 1 hour or up to 1 day. Just before serving, pit, peel, and dice avocado; ladle soup into bowls and top with avocado.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews