Grilled Clams with Sambuca and Italian Sausage
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
A vegetable grill grate can be used in place of the shellfish grate. Or buy bigger clams to set directly on the grill rack.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 6 clams and 1 lemon wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 120
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 5.9mg
- Sodium: 221mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 4 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage (about 1/2 link)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (1-ounce) slice day-old white bread
- 2 tablespoons Sambuca or Pernod (licorice-flavored liqueur)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 36 littleneck clams, cleaned
- 6 lemon wedges
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion, peppers, butter, and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until breadcrumbs form. Add breadcrumbs to sausage mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour Sambuca into one side of skillet. Ignite Sambuca with a long match, and let flames die down. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and salt.
- Prepare grill to high heat.
- Shuck clams; discard any broken shells or shells that remain open. Place 12 clam halves on shellfish grate; discard top halves of shells. Top each with about 1 teaspoon breadcrumb mixture. Place grate on grill. Cover and cook 4 minutes or until clam juice in shells boils. Remove clams from grate; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining clams and breadcrumbs. Serve with lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grilled Clams with Sambuca and Italian Sausage Recipe at a Glance