WOW! This is one of the best chicken recipes ever! It is absolutely delicious. I was low on ginger so only used maybe 2 tsp. I used just one serrano pepper (took out the seeds) and I chopped in food processor. And I did not add the cayenne becuase I did not want it too hot. But it was fantastic. Wonderful recipe.
Grilled Cilantro Chicken with Pickled Tomato and Avocado Salsa
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 746
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 50g
- Fat: 53g
- Saturated fat: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 591mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 1 pound medium beefsteak-type tomatoes, quartered, seeds squeezed out
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, cut into 3/4-in. chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves with bone and skin (2 1/2 lbs. total)
- 1. Make salsa: In a bowl, combine tomatoes, chiles, and green onions. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring vinegar to a boil. Add sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Put ginger, garlic, and dry spices in a bowl. In another medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until rippling. Add ginger mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in seasoned vinegar, and pour over tomato mixture.
- 2. Let salsa cool, then cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. About 1 hour before serving, stir avocados into salsa and bring to room temperature.
- 3. Make chicken: In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper. Turn chicken in mixture to coat. Let stand at room temperature, turning occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes.
- 4. Prepare a grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Lift chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill chicken (cover gas grill), turning often to prevent scorching, until no longer pink in center, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5. Transfer chicken to a platter and spoon salsa on top, saving half of liquid for another use (such as salad dressing).
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes