First of all, I will be making this recipe over and over again! It was absolutely fabulous! I was even able to get my husband to say he LOVED it. And trust me, getting my husband to like chicken is not easy! (When I ask him what he'd like for dinner, he generally says "anything but chicken") I didn't have chicken quarters handy so I used bone in thighs and they worked wonderfully. Also, I made these on a gas grill (since that's all we have) using medium heat and they were still so juicy and tender! I left the skin on for grilling to help with flavor and keeping the juices in; I just made sure to brush some of the mango mixture under the skin before grilling so that when I took the skin off for eating it would still have the tasty flavor. Like I said, FANTASTIC flavor-- I will make this great summer recipe again!
Grilled Chicken with Sriracha Glaze
Dense, bone-in chicken leg quarters benefit from long, slow cooking over indirect heat. The less intense heat also prevents the sweet glaze from burning.
Customize the glaze according to what you have on hand; try pineapple preserves or apple jelly in place of mango jam, for example, or hot pepper sauce instead of Sriracha. Serve with a simple slaw of cabbage, carrots, lime juice, and sugar.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 38.7g
- Carbohydrate: 18.2g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 154mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 515mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 2/3 cup mango jam
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (12-ounce) bone-in chicken leg-thigh quarters, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Prepare grill for indirect grilling. If using a gas grill, heat one side to medium-high and leave one side with no heat. If using a charcoal grill, arrange hot coals on either side of charcoal grate, leaving an empty space in the middle.
- 2. Combine mango jam, chives, vinegar, and Sriracha, stirring until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup mango mixture; set aside.
- 3. Brush oil evenly over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4. Carefully remove grill rack. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on unheated part of grill. Carefully return grill rack to grill. Place chicken on grill rack over unheated part. Brush chicken with about 2 tablespoons remaining mango mixture. Close lid; grill 90 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°, turning chicken and brushing with about 2 tablespoons mango mixture every 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Drizzle chicken with reserved 1/4 cup mango mixture.
- Wine note: This dish's tropical fruit flavors and spicy heat are ideal for gewürztraminer, a popular grape of Germany and France. The mango and apricot flavors of the highly aromatic Hugel gewürztraminer 2006 ($20) echo those of the glaze, while a slightly sweet lychee nut character helps to balance the heat. —Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note