I also have to go with two stars, but I'd really rather say 2.5. It's not a solid recipe because it has room for improvement, but it's worth a try. I liked the plum-red wine mixture. I used Chianti as that's what I had opened. The plums I used were small and a few were smooshy ripe with others just giving slightly. It gave the sauce a nice tart, sweetness that neeeeeeds something else. Some spices in the sauce or on the chicken would have helped, but that's up to personal preference and also what you have in mind for a side dish. Definitely adaptable, but not perfect as is. I'll probably make it again since I have more plums and chicken breast, but there will additions to the sauce. I may go a little wild, who knows.
Grilled Chicken with Pinot-Plum Sauce
Serve this simply seasoned sauce at room temperature or chilled. Taste the plums before using; if they aren't fully ripe, add a little extra sugar. Pour the remaining pinot noir with the meal; it makes a graceful, natural pairing.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 215
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 18.3g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 237mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 2 cups chopped ripe plums (about 3 small)
- 1 cup pinot noir or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- To prepare sauce, combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan (A); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally (B). Remove from heat; stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pour into a small bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- To prepare the chicken, sprinkle the chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve chicken with plum sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes
Food & Wine