I have made this recipe many times, always to rave reviews. Buy thinner chicken breast cutlets, to eliminate the need to pound the chicken. Marinate it at least 2 hours. I usually skip the boiling the marinade step, and just serve the salsa on top of the chicken. I also serve this with rice that I have combined with fresh cilantro pesto. It goes really well together.
Grilled Chicken with Mango-Pineapple Salsa
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Top grilled chicken breast halves with a sweet-and-spicy tropical salsa of fresh pineapple, mango, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro. Serve over rice for an easy one-dish meal.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1/4 cup salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 222
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21.1g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 537mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 2/3 cup diced peeled ripe mango (1 medium)
- 2/3 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. To prepare salsa, combine first 8 ingredients. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. To prepare chicken, place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Combine pineapple juice and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- 3. Prepare grill.
- 4. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Drizzle over chicken. Serve salsa with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This