I will absolutely make this dish again. It is alot of effort, but if you plan ahead is it well worth it. I followed the recipe as is, except that I used jarred herbs instead of fresh. I broiled the chicken and used it for chicken soft tacos. I hate bland food, and I was very pleased how flavorful the chicken turned out. Next time I'll probably use the jalapeno seeds, but my mom doesn't like spicy stuff so I seeded the peppers this time. It still had a nice kick though! Oh yeah, I also had alot of marinade left over.
Grilled Chicken with Hot 'n' Spicy Tequila-Orange Marinade
"I created this dish for a poolside barbecue with a Mexican grill theme, and it went over really well with my friends. I like to serve it with spicy black beans, fruit salsa, and tortillas (although tortilla chips will also work). There are never leftovers" --CL Reader
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 34.1g
- Carbohydrate: 11.9g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 324mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, skinned
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- To prepare the marinade, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Add jalapeño peppers and oranges; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add juice; cook 2 minutes. Add tequila; cook 3 minutes. Add rosemary, cilantro, and vinegar; cook 1 minute.
- Place marinade in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Discard solids. Reserve 1/2 cup marinade. Place remaining marinade in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- To prepare the chicken, pierce with a fork. Add the chicken, chili powder, salt, and pepper to marinade in bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove the chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place the chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 12 minutes on each side or until chicken is done, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- Note: For chicken pieces, use a combination of chicken breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. Look for packages labeled "pick of the chick" in the butcher case.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note