This recipe is so good! I had never had corn cakes before but I'm completely in love with them. I would add cheese and bacon in the corn cakes, it makes them ten times better.
Grilled Chicken with Fresh Corn Cakes
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Total: 56 Minutes
- 3 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) package buttermilk cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 8 cooked thick hickory-smoked bacon slices
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Grate zest from lemons to equal 1 Tbsp. Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice from lemons into a measuring cup to equal 1/4 cup.
- 2. Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, next 3 ingredients, and 1 tsp. salt. Reserve 1/4 cup lemon mixture. Pour remaining lemon mixture in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chicken. Seal and chill 15 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade.
- 3. Brush corn with 1 Tbsp. olive oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt.
- 4. Grill chicken and corn at the same time, covered with grill lid, 20 minutes, turning chicken once and turning corn every 4 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken, and cover. Hold each grilled cob upright on a cutting board, and carefully cut downward, cutting kernels from cob.
- 5. Stir together cornbread mix and 2/3 cup water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in basil and 1 cup grilled corn kernels. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each corn cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook cakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked; turn and cook other side.
- 6. Thinly slice chicken. To serve, place 2 corn cakes on each plate, top with chicken and 2 bacon slices. Toss arugula with reserved lemon mixture. Place arugula on bacon, and sprinkle with corn kernels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes