What a great marinade, both for the chicken and the vegetables. Super simple and what a great alternative to fried okra.
Grilled Chicken-Vegetable Kabobs
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Prop Styling: Buffy Hargett
Grab the skewers, fire up the grill, and enjoy these easy and delicious kabobs, great for any night of the week.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 medium-size yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 small fresh okra (about 3/4 lb.)
- 8 (12-inch) metal skewers, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1. Whisk together pepper jelly, red pepper, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper in a shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and chill 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 2. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Thread onion pieces and next 2 ingredients alternately onto 5 skewers, leaving a 1/8-inch space between pieces. Place skewers in a shallow pan. Whisk together olive oil and remaining 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour over vegetables.
- 3. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread chicken onto remaining 3 skewers, leaving a 1/8-inch space between pieces.
- 4. Grill kabobs, covered with grill lid, 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until chicken is done and vegetables are crisp-tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note