Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Pickled Squash and Romesco Mayonnaise
What Makes It Great: The satisfying snap of quick-pickled squash plays well with creamy-smoky red bell pepper mayo, peppery arugula, and savory chicken. Use a mandoline to get perfectly uniform, thin slices of squash. Or for delicate squash ribbons, shave the squash lengthwise with a vegetable peeler.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 25.3g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 758mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 (5-ounce) yellow summer squash, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 ounces bottled roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 ounce blanched almonds, toasted
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 (2-ounce) focaccia rolls, halved and toasted
- 2 cups arugula
- 1. Combine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and thyme in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour hot mixture over squash in a bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Drain.
- 2. Combine mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients (through almonds) in a mini food processor; process until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 4. Spread about 2 tablespoons sauce on bottom half of each roll. Top each with one chicken cutlet, about 1/3 cup squash, 1/2 cup arugula, and top half of roll.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note