Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Fig Relish
Notes: Use soft-ripe figs for the relish, which is also good with crackers or toasted baguette slices as an appetizer or alongside roast chicken.
Yield: Makes 3 sandwiches
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 546
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 45g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 517mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 3 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (about 6 oz. each)
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices (about 5 by 3 in. and 1/2 in. thick) sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup arugula leaves or salad mix, rinsed and crisped
- Fig relish
- 1. Place each chicken breast half between two sheets of plastic wrap; with a flat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound to 1/2 inch thick. Brush both sides of chicken lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Lay chicken on an oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes total. Meanwhile, brush both sides of bread lightly with oil. When you turn chicken, lay bread slices on grill and cook, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes total.
- 3. To assemble each sandwich, top one slice of bread with about 1/4 cup arugula leaves. Place chicken on arugula and top with about 1/3 cup fig relish. Top with second slice of grilled bread. Serve warm.
- Nutritional analysis per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note