This is just an okay recipe. If I were to make it again, I would not slice the red pepper.The sandwich was difficult to eat because the 'stuff' wanted to fall out. I used chicken tenders that came out really moist but with all the other flavors going on it wasn't obvious that the marinade came through. Also, Focaccia is too thick. I should have sliced away some of the inside bread.
Grilled Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches with Fontina Cheese
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
A garlic-herb marinade gives the chicken a flavorful jump start. You can serve an entire quarter or cut each quarter into two wedges. Serve with vegetable chips.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich quarter)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 462
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 39.5g
- Carbohydrate: 51.2g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 981mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf rosemary focaccia, cut in half horizontally
- 4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound to 3/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine juice, mustard, oil, marjoram, thyme, 1 garlic clove, and chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add remaining 4 garlic cloves, onion, sugar, fennel, crushed red pepper, and salt, and sauté 1 minute. Add roasted bell peppers; cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and black pepper.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cool slightly; cut chicken into slices.
- Spread cut sides of bread evenly with mayonnaise. Arrange cheese on bottom half of bread. Arrange chicken and pepper mixture over cheese. Top with top half of bread; press lightly.
- Place stuffed loaf on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Cut into quarters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches