This was very good, but grilling the chicken is completely unnecessary - it adds no noticeable flavor and complicates the dish. That said, if you do grill, you should consider grilling a couple of zucchini and tossing them into the past as it is a VERY worthwhile addition. Otherwise, this works just as well with rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. (10-10-09)
Grilled Chicken and Pesto Farfalle
This pasta dish comes together quickly if one person grills chicken while another cooks the pasta and sauce. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired. If you serve wine, a chardonnay complements the creamy sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 508
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 16.7g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 38.3g
- Carbohydrate: 50.7g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 781mg
- Calcium: 397mg
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 20 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.5-ounce) jar commercial pesto (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 cups halved grape tomatoes (about 2 pints)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until done, turning after 6 minutes. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces; keep warm.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Place pasta in large bowl.
- 4. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in pesto. Gradually add remaining 1 cup milk and half-and-half, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 8 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 cup cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- 5. Add chicken and sauce to pasta, tossing well to coat. Add tomatoes and basil; toss gently. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This