Grilled-Chicken Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts
Using canned artichoke hearts cuts the preparation time for this salad way down. They are surprisingly good; just be sure to rinse them thoroughly to get rid of any extra acidity or "tinny" taste.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound in all)
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound fusilli
- 1 1/4 cups canned, drained artichoke hearts (one 14-ounce can), rinsed and cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Light the grill or heat the broiler. Coat the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Grill or broil until just done, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- 2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fusilli until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain thoroughly. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- 3. Add the chicken, artichoke hearts, scallions, parsley, the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, the vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the Parmesan to the pasta and toss well.
- Wine Recommendation: Artichokes can be tough on wine since they tend to make even the driest ones taste sweet. To counteract this tendency, try an acidic white wine such as a Sancerre from France (made from sauvignon blanc grapes) or a sauvignon blanc from northern Italy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note