Grilled Chicken and Pasta Salad
Helen Schussler combined some of her favorite flavors in this cool main-dish noodle salad. It makes a great casual one-bowl dinner or a perfect dish for a potluck or buffet.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 421
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 421mg
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound dried angel hair pasta
- 1 pound mixed red and yellow bell peppers, rinsed, cored, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 cucumber (about 10 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1. Rinse chicken and pat dry; place in a bowl. In another bowl, combine lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture over chicken, reserving remainder. Chill chicken for 30 minutes.
- 2. Lift chicken from marinade (discard used marinade) and lay over a solid bed of medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning chicken as needed to brown evenly, until no longer pink in the center of the thickest part (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a board and let stand until cool enough to handle, then cut across the grain into 1-inch-wide slices.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a covered 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse under cold running water until cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, reserved lime-juice mixture, chicken, bell peppers, cucumber, parsley, green onions, and chili flakes; mix to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 day.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes