Grilled Chicken Dijon
A riff on chicken Dijon, a classic pan-cooked dish involving mustard and heavy cream. You'll need 18 (8-in.) skewers; if they're wooden, soak in water for at least 1 hour before grilling so they don't splinter or burn.
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 223
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 439mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 4 boned, skinned chicken breasts (1 3/4 to 2 lbs. total)
- 3 tablespoons seeded ("whole grain") mustard or Rosemary Thyme Mustard
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard or Hot and Tangy Mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Orange wedges
- 1. Remove the tender (the small, easily separable strip) from underside of each chicken breast. Cut breasts into 1/2-in.-wide strips diagonally across the grain, and cut each tender in half lengthwise.
- 2. Bring mustards, oil, garlic, zest, orange and lemon juices, Worcestershire, and honey to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Let cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Working in batches, place several chicken strips between 2 large pieces of waxed paper and gently pound with a meat mallet to flatten chicken into pieces about 1/8 in. thick. Put strips in a bowl.
- 4. Pour mustard mixture over chicken and gently stir with a rubber spatula to coat. Chill, covered, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- 5. Heat grill to high (about 500°) and wipe cooking grate with a thick pad of oiled paper towels. Thread chicken onto skewers so that they lie more or less flat. Grill chicken, covered if using gas, 2 minutes. Turn over and grill 2 minutes more, or until cooked through (cut to test).
- 6. Serve skewers on a platter, sprinkled with parsley. Add orange wedges for squeezing.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Total time includes 2 hours to marinate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note