Grilled Chicken Breasts with Grapefruit Glaze
Simply prepared yet special, these chicken breasts are grilled and basted with a bitter, tart, and sweet glaze.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest (from about 1/2 grapefruit)
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice (from 1 grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 1/4 pounds in all)
- 1. Light the grill. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
- 2. Grill the chicken breasts over moderately high heat, brushing frequently with the glaze, for 8 minutes. Turn and cook, brushing with more glaze, until the chicken is just done, 10 to 12 minutes longer. Remove.
- 3. In a small stainless-steel saucepan, bring the remaining glaze to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute, remove from the heat, and pour over the grilled chicken.
- Menu Suggestions: Since the chicken breasts don't have a lot of sauce, serve a juicy vegetable such as grilled or sautéed summer squash or zucchini alongside.
- Variation: Grilled Chicken Breasts with Citrus Glaze: Use a combination of citrus juices, such as orange, lemon, or lime, instead of all or part of the grapefruit juice.
- Wine Recommendation: The crisp acidity, effervescence, and moderate alcohol level of a brut Champagne from France or a sparkling wine from California will be perfect with the smokey taste here and with the high acidity of the grapefruit juice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes