So Yummy! We "pickled" the carrots and jicama for a more authentic version. Just boiled them for a few minutes in rice wine vinegar a little sugar and salt. Definite improvement. Can't wait to make these again.
Grilled Chicken Bánh Mì
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 514
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 1382mg
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- 2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 4 sandwich rolls or 1 sweet baguette, cut into 4 equal lengths and split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 2-in. matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 ounces jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red Fresno or red jalapeño chile, halved lengthwise and sliced
- Cilantro, Thai basil, and mint leaves
- 1. Heat a grill to medium (350° to 450°). With a sharp knife, halve chicken pieces horizontally almost all the way through, then open up like a book. Put chicken in a bowl and add 2 tbsp. hoisin, the five-spice, soy sauce, and 1 tbsp. oil, tossing to coat.
- 2. Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice diagonally into wide chunks.
- 3. Mix remaining 2 tbsp. hoisin and 1 tbsp. oil, the lime juice, and fish sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- 4. Spread the bottom of the cut side of each roll with 1 tbsp. mayo. Fill sandwiches with chicken. Top each with cucumber, carrot, jicama, chile slices, and herbs. Drizzle each sandwich with some of the reserved lime dressing (you may have some left over).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches