Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Bacon, Spinach, Tomatoes, and Fried Eggs
Time: 40 minutes. Esi Impraim's inspiration: chef Thomas Keller's cheesy fried-egg BLT, featured in the 2004 movie Spanglish. Impraim's version is quite different from the original--and just as delicious.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 609
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Sodium: 1423mg
- Cholesterol: 316mg
- 6 to 8 dried tomato halves
- 2 large eggs
- About 2 1/2 tbsp. softened butter, divided
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 6 slices crisp-cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1. Soak tomatoes in warm water until they're very soft, 20 to 30 minutes, then dry with paper towels.
- 2. In a large nonstick frying pan, fry eggs in 1/2 tbsp. butter over medium heat until whites are just set. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tbsp. butter, 1/4 tsp. salt, pepper to taste, the parsley, thyme, and lemon juice.
- 4. Transfer eggs to a plate. Spread herb butter on 1 side of each bread slice, dividing evenly. Turn 2 slices over and top with gouda, bacon, tomatoes, and spinach, dividing evenly. Top each sandwich with a fried egg and remaining bread slices, buttered sides up. Cook sandwiches until golden brown, turning once, about 8 minutes total.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note