This is what we are having for dinner. With one change, we are having roasted garlic spread on the bread.
Grilled Caprese Sandwiches
Here's a gourmet marriage of grilled cheese sandwiches and Caprese salad, best made in summer, when tomatoes and basil are at their peak.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Sodium: 1139mg
- Cholesterol: 7.1mg
- 8 slices (about 11 oz.) rustic sourdough or Italian country bread
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices (6 oz.) mozzarella cheese
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 16 large basil leaves
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1. Rub a side of each slice of bread with a cut side of garlic and brush with oil. Layer the plain side of half the bread with cheese, tomatoes, and peppers, dividing evenly. Top with remaining bread, garlic side up.
- 2. Cook 2 sandwiches at a time in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, covered, turning sandwiches once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, 6 minutes.
- 3. Tuck 4 slices basil into each sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note