- 8 slices (about 11 oz.) rustic sourdough or Italian country bread
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices (6 oz.) mozzarella cheese
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 16 large basil leaves
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/2 tsp. pepper
- calories 349
- caloriesfromfat 13 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 5.2 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 51 g
- fiber 4.7 g
- sodium 1139 mg
- cholesterol 7.1 mg
How to Make It
Rub a side of each slice of bread with a cut side of garlic and brush with oil. Layer the plain side of half the bread with cheese, tomatoes, and peppers, dividing evenly. Top with remaining bread, garlic side up.
Cook 2 sandwiches at a time in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, covered, turning sandwiches once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, 6 minutes.
Tuck 4 slices basil into each sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.