This recipe was delicious and was even better the next day! My husband who is not a big veggie fan even loved it! To save time, we bought naan and grilled them.
Grilled Caponata Salad with Grilled Flatbreads
Look for caper berries near the olives in the supermarket; they should be next to the capers, but they're much bigger and have a stem. In a pinch, substitute about a tablespoon of chopped capers. Japanese eggplants have thinner skins than typical globe eggplants, so you can leave the peel on. The light purple color is pretty, too.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 42 Minutes
- Calories: 373
- Fat: 23.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 32.3g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 23.1mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4-ounce) piece fresh pizza dough, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 10 ounces)
- 12 ounces baby zucchini, halved lengthwise (about 8)
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 10 large sliced pitted green olives
- 2 globe tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and torn into pieces
- 4 caper berries with stems, rinsed and drained
- 1. To prepare dressing, combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Set aside.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. To prepare flatbreads, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; let stand for 15 minutes. Pat each dough portion into a 5-inch circle. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Place dough on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and well marked. Remove from grill; rub top of each flatbread with cut sides of 1 garlic clove. Tear each flatbread in half.
- 4. To prepare salad, lightly coat eggplant and the next 3 ingredients (through onion) with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant and zucchini on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until tender and well marked. Arrange bell pepper and onion on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until well marked.
- 5. Separate onion slices into rings. Cut the bell pepper into thick strips. Add onion, eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, green olives, and tomato to dressing; toss gently to combine. Arrange the vegetables on a platter. Top with nuts, basil, cheese, and caper berries. Serve with flatbreads.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note