This is one of the best recipes from cooking light, ever. No one who tasted this could believe the dressing was light! Loved the grilled lettuce too added another layer of flavor to the dish. I have made several times and it is a new favorite!!!!!!
Grilled Caesar Salad
Grilling lettuce gives it a hint of smokiness and lends the leaves crisp-tender contrast. Toasted garlic bread stands in for croutons.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 118
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10.5g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 10 (1/2-ounce) slices diagonally cut French bread (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 7 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pasteurized egg yolk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise (about 24 ounces)
- 1/2 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved (about 1/3 cup)
- 1. Preheat grill to high.
- 2. Coat bread slices with cooking spray. Place the bread on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 1 minute or until golden, turning once. Remove bread from grill. Cut 1 garlic clove in half; rub both sides of bread with cut sides of garlic clove. Discard clove.
- 3. Pat anchovy fillets dry with a paper towel. Combine remaining 2 garlic cloves, 2 anchovy fillets, juice, mustard, pepper, salt, and egg yolk in a blender; process until smooth. With blender on, add oil, 1 tablespoon at a time; process until smooth.
- 4. Place lettuce, cut sides down, on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes. Turn; grill 1 minute. Remove from heat; coarsely chop lettuce. Place lettuce in a large bowl; drizzle with dressing, tossing gently to coat.
- 5. Cut remaining 5 anchovy fillets in half lengthwise. Arrange about 3/4 cup salad on each of 10 plates; top each serving with 1 bread slice and 1 anchovy half. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 1/2 teaspoons Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note