Grilled Broccoli and Bread Salad with Pickled Shallots
Photo: Con Poulos
"Grilling over an open flame is my favorite way of cooking," says Charlie Parker. "It gives food so much flavor without the need for butter." Here, he serves lightly charred broccoli and ciabatta cubes in a twist on an Italian bread-and-tomato salad.
More From Food & Wine
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Kosher salt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into long spears, stems peeled
- 1/2 pound vegan ciabatta, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Put the shallots and the raisins in 2 separate, small, heatproof bowls. In a small saucepan, combine the sherry, vinegar and agave syrup and bring to a boil. Pour 2 tablespoons of the hot mixture over the raisins; pour the rest over the shallots and add the thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover both bowls.
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper and rosemary to the remaining dressing in the bowl.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the broccoli with half of the dressing from the bowl and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the remaining dressing from the bowl on the ciabatta slices. Grill the broccoli over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred and barely tender, 8 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a bowl, cover with foil and let steam for 5 minutes. Grill the ciabatta over moderate heat until crisp, 1 minute.
- Cut the ciabatta into 1-inch cubes. Transfer to a platter and top with the grilled broccoli. Drain the raisins and shallots and scatter them over the broccoli. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts, drizzle with the reserved 3 tablespoons of dressing and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This