I made the marinade as stated in the recipe, but with really coursely ground pepper, ground in a heavy mortar. It was just right. I imagine that if you went with a finer ground 1Tsp would be too much. Also, I am fortunate to have a proper butcher who can hook me up with raw beef sliced so thin it's see-through. This works brilliantly.
Grilled Beef with Lemon Grass and Garlic (Bo Nuong Xa Toi)
A classic; also works with steamed rice. Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes, plus 2 hours to marinate. Notes: You can use a grill pan or broiler instead of a grill. (Broil onions first, about 10 in. from heat, and then beef, about 6 in. from heat.)
This recipe goes with Herb Noodle Salad (Bun)
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 428
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 516mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (3 or 4 large cloves)
- 1 1/2 stalks lemon grass, outer layer peeled off and inner core minced (about 3 tbsp.)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef tri-tip or round, sliced against the grain into 1/4-in. slices
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 tablespoons and crushed unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together sugar, pepper, garlic, lemon grass, fish sauce, and 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add beef, toss to coat, and refrigerate 2 hours.
- 2. Rub remaining 1 tbsp. oil over onions. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for medium-high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above grill level only 3 to 4 seconds). Brush grill with vegetable oil. Thread onions onto two 8-in. metal skewers. Lay onion skewers on grill and cook (close lid on gas grill) until softened, about 15 minutes, turning skewers every 5 minutes or so.
- 3. When onions are cooked halfway, lay beef slices on grill and cook (close lid on gas grill), turning once, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4. Arrange beef and onions on a platter and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This