- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (3 or 4 large cloves)
- 1 1/2 stalks lemon grass, outer layer peeled off and inner core minced (about 3 tbsp.)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef tri-tip or round, sliced against the grain into 1/4-in. slices
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 tablespoons and crushed unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- calories 428
- caloriesfromfat 61 %
- protein 26 g
- fat 29 g
- satfat 7.9 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 516 mg
- cholesterol 74 mg
How to Make It
In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together sugar, pepper, garlic, lemon grass, fish sauce, and 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add beef, toss to coat, and refrigerate 2 hours.
Rub remaining 1 tbsp. oil over onions. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for medium-high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above grill level only 3 to 4 seconds). Brush grill with vegetable oil. Thread onions onto two 8-in. metal skewers. Lay onion skewers on grill and cook (close lid on gas grill) until softened, about 15 minutes, turning skewers every 5 minutes or so.
When onions are cooked halfway, lay beef slices on grill and cook (close lid on gas grill), turning once, 3 to 5 minutes.
Arrange beef and onions on a platter and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.