Grilled Beef and Spring Onion Salad
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Kevin Crafts
Yield: Serves 6 as a main course
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 555
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 929mg
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tri-tip or round, sliced against grain into 1/4-in. slices
- 12 spring onions or 18 green onions, roots and top half of green ends trimmed
- 3 qts. loosely packed mixed radish greens and arugula (or all arugula)
- 1 large bunch (about 1 lb.) red or pink radishes, cut into thick wedges
- 2 cups sunflower sprouts
- 1. Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients in a large bowl and pour half into a small bowl. Add beef and onions to large bowl, stir to coat, and chill 3 hours (or let sit at room temperature 2 hours), stirring once.
- 2. Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium (350°). Oil cooking grate and grill onions until softened and lightly charred, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to high (500°) and grill beef in 3 batches, letting heat come back up to 500° before starting a new batch. Cook, turning once, about 3 minutes total per batch, or until browned and cooked through (cut to test).
- 3. Toss greens and radishes in a large serving bowl with half of reserved dressing. Toss beef and sprouts with remaining dressing. Divide greens among large plates and top with grilled beef, onions, and sunflower sprouts.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Total time does not include marinating time.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This