Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel
Photo: Kate Sears; Stylist: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 558
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 86g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Sodium: 77mg
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 firm but ripe bananas
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1. Make caramel: Stir sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to medium-high. Watching carefully, boil syrup without stirring until it is a dark amber color, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream (mixture will bubble up and splatter). Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and becomes smooth, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter, vanilla and salt.
- 2. In a bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Warm honey in microwave for 15 seconds.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut unpeeled bananas in half lengthwise. Brush cut sides with honey; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Oil grill. Place bananas on grill, cut sides up. Cook until bananas are tender and flesh pulls away from skin, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4. Using 2 spoons, gently remove 2 banana halves from peels. Place 2 halves in a bowl, top with ice cream and drizzle with caramel. Repeat with remaining bananas, ice cream and caramel.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note